Friday, November 9, 2012

My Coat of Many Colors

Made my own pattern for my pre navy jacket
image


This is a jacket I made for a pattern from old fabric that I had on hand in like forever...I never expected
It to look good enough to wear when I made it but it turned out to be a great fall jacket and
I've had a lot of compliments on it everywhere I go. :)
image
image
My pattern trial jacket in Navy.
Now from this pattern, the paper one I made. I tweaked it until I got exactly what I wanted.
I made the sleeves a bit more fitted at the wrist in my "real jacket".
I made it slightly shorter in front and longer in back.
I didn't make a belt although I still may later.
I made the pockets deeper.
I used different fabrics for different pieces
I added a hood
I changed the lapel


"My coat of many colors"
image

Ta da!!! I've finally finished my jacket and took pictures of it!!! I had took pictures of it before
But I hated them so I took more and I like these a lot better, so much so that I didn't know
Which ones to choose to put on here...so I posted a lot of them, hope you don't mind!!
          image
   
The black fabric is fabric I found at French's (Used clothing store) and the
Pink and white fabric is fabric that I had got to make a quilt and hadn't used yet.
The plain white and pink fabric also
 image
I quilted the pink and white fabric with black thread. The jacket is lined with
A thick and sturdy quilting fabric, not the cheap kind but a good quality one.
I then put a binding on the collar and front edge of the jacket.
image
I also quilted all the black with white polka dots.
image
  
The jacket has princess seams with pocket inserts in them. I got the idea for the pockets from
My threads magazine November 2000. I am doing really good using the ideas from my magazines!!!
I have lots more to go through and make things from them.
 image
image
The side welt pocket idea. I made mine a bit different

   image
I used the quilting ideas from this
image
And this

image
I strip pieced the back with all the different fabrics I had on hand and
I added a hood. I wasn't sure if I should add the hood but I am really glad
I did!!!

  image
The light pink and dark pink woven plaid fabric is fabric that I bought at Fabricville last
Year but never made anything with it.
image
The sleeves are not quilted but they are pieced with white on the inside.
   image
The pockets go all the way down to the bottom of the jacket. Very comfy and
Warm since it is all lined inside too.
image
image
Detail

  image
Learned this from Pinterest. How to pose to make your waist look tiny!! Lol
Works great!!!
image
The back of the jacket is longer and shaped. There is also a pleat there
Although it is hard to see in pictures.
  
image
image
image
This is a dressy casual jacket.
image
buttons….I could have added more buttons but they are 3 1/2 hours away
so I didn’t
image
Love my hood Smile
image
I made the lapel so that is a bit asymmetrical.

image
image
image
back detail

image

image
My cat Minou follows me every time I go outdoors. She always has to get in the pictures!! lol
image
image
Got my earrings at the dollar store for $1.00 cha ching!!
image
image

image

That’s it folks!! All in all I am pretty happy with how it turned out. It should keep me warm this winter.
My critical eye sees things I could have done better….maybe with the next jacket! Smile
Thanks for looking, hope you liked it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate all comments, Thanks for stopping by!!!